October 5, 2009

New things are beautiful things

Right now I am missing the security of my classes back at Hope. As I sat in Cells & Genetics, Human Physiology and other classes of the sort I always wondered if I was missing out on the freedom given to students in art class or the theological challenge given to students studying religion. When things got really challenging, like during finals week, I wondered: would I be happier learning how to read and develop poems or in a class teaching me how to teach children dance? But now that I am in completely different courses than I have ever been in, finding myself SOLELY graded on 2 essays in each course, I have my answer.

My mind is going to be stretched this semester. It's only week two and I am learning how poets and philosophers responded to the French Bourgeoisie Revolution of 1848, where the idea of morality comes from, and who the Celts really were. (thankfully I do have some Medical Sociology =] )

I miss the certainty of how the myosin and actin filaments slide as you move your muscles or how myelin sheath between axon terminals and dendrites all work together to fire signals down your nerves to make your body function. I miss learning about the different stages of life and how your cognition and motor skills progress and re-shape throughout those stages. I miss having little quizzes every week to make sure I am understanding the key concepts of how a left sided brain injury would affect the rest of your life or even the intellectual challenge that comes with cramming for an exam in Chemistry! But the truth is- I cannot MISS these things anymore. I am in a new place in a new time. These new classes will broaden my awareness of past events, allow me to read important pieces of literature, and tone up my library researching skills. Ella told me her mom always says- "Bloom where you are planted" I want to bloom here in Aberdeen. Although I am walking in unfamiliar territory, I will no longer think of the safe things or the ways of the past, but will truly immerse myself in these waters. The more I write about it, the more excited I am for all that lays ahead of me.

Another really exciting thing is that I am taking Spanish! It is not a course that will give me credits that transfer back to Hope, but is a part of the Language Centre and continuing education here at the uni. It meets once a week for two hours in the evening. I had my first class tonight and it was wonderful. I really love the Spanish language and have a deep desire to enhance my skills. I am really looking forward to working on my communication skills as we will spend most of the time just talking. With the huge Spanish- speaking population in Chicago area hospitals and the prospects of one day using my love of physical therapy to reach spanish speaking countries, I know this will come in great use. I would be extremely naive to never learn it. This will help me reach even more people.

This weekend in Aviemore was incredible. The town was beautiful, the food was ridiculously delicious, and the people were kind and loving. We were able to hike up to a green loch (lake) despite the rain and winds. I love being outside more than anything in the whole world. Scotland is such a beautiful country and I am happy for all the chances I have to just simply be outdoors. For example, today I walked about 10 minutes to the beach to find a nice cozy bench amidst the trees just to read. I need to do this as often as I can until it starts to get really, really cold. Crisp autumn air has already been with us for a while.

with all my love,
Jess


5 comments:

  1. Jess! first of all...i love that quote from ella's mom. i wrote it down in my journal because I think it is precious. secondly...i love you! you are too cute! lets study lit together bc its new to you and i should probably be good at it because its english buuuut its hard for me too :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love reading what you're up to. can't wait till its my turn to go and tell you everything i am learning. you're wonderful and i miss you!
    -mei mei

    ReplyDelete
  3. really good study abroad advice jess! don't think about the ways of the past, think about now! :) love it! and love you! i'm glad to see you're appreciating life there! <3 laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear you are already blooming! I love you lots and seriously, please a video chat, i think you may be forgetting what i look like :) Love you hope you have had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess! Just...wow. I love you.

    -Caroline

    ReplyDelete